A rangefinder is the 15th club in your bag. Having the best golf rangefinder in your arsenal has a two-fold advantage.
Rangefinders provide accurate and precise information regarding the distances, wind conditions, location of hazards, and bunkers. This will allow you to make a confident swing without having to worry about leaving it short or overcooking the shot.
Good quality rangefinders are sure to reduce at least 3-5 strokes off your score by helping immensely with the course management.
The products and reviews mentioned below are of some of the best rangefinders which have been tested both at the driving range and the golf course.
- 1 Best Golf Rangefinders
- 1.1 Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder ( best overall golf rangefinder for high-performance requirements)
- 1.2 Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder with Slope Measurement ( best golf rangefinder under 200$)
- 1.3 TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder ( best golf rangefinder under 150$)
- 1.4 TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder ( best long range golf rangefinder with a slope)
- 1.5 Garmin Approach Z82 Golf GPS Laser Rangefinder ( best new golf rangefinder)
- 1.6 Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder ( Most easy to use Hybrid Rangefinder)
- 1.7 Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS ( best beginner-friendly GPS rangefinder)
- 1.8 PEAKPULSE S600AG Golf Rangefinder ( most affordable golf rangefinder with slope)
- 1.9 Gogogo Laser Rangefinder ( the most cost effective golf rangefinder)
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 2.1 What is a rangefinder and why is it so important?
- 2.2 Importance of a golf rangefinder
- 2.3 What are the Key Points of consideration while buying a golf rangefinder?
- 2.4 Should I use a Laser Rangefinder or GPS device?
- 2.5 Should I have a slope feature in my Laser Rangefinder?
- 3 A Final Word with My Best Choice for Rangefinder
Best Golf Rangefinders
Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder ( best overall golf rangefinder for high-performance requirements)
If you are a golfer who is keen to get those yardages correct with the best possible accuracy, then Bushnell should be your go-to company for a rangefinder.
Upwards of around 99% of the top players in the world use a Bushnell product and the Bushnell Pro XE is by far its most reliable, high performing rangefinder to date.
One of the most impressive features of this product is Visual Jolt. While the previous models boast of a vibrating jolt upon target lock, the Pro XE model also gives a visual assurance by the flashing of a Red Ring once the target is found.
The use of Bushnell’s patented slope with elements showing the slopes on the course and the green can now be turned on and off with the help of a slope-switch.
- Easy to use
- Long-range of 500+ yards
- Fits perfectly into the hand
- it is highly durable and hence lasts for a long time
- It is waterproof
- It is on the expensive side
- Not so useful for a beginner
- Sometimes over-shadowing can make it difficult to operate
- It provides a maximum distance range of 500+ yards which is more than all of the previous models.
- Compensated distances are taken to a whole new level with temperature and barometric pressure. This is added to Bushnell’s patented Slope With Elements Technology to high levels of accuracy of yardages.
- The already existing and successful JOLT technology is boosted by the addition of VISUAL JOLT. This adds a red ring once the target is locked to give higher levels of feedback and confidence.
- The use of the Slope With Elements is now optional with the addition of a Slope-Switch which allows the use of the technology only when it is required and allowed in a game.
- The BITE magnetic mount allows you to easily mount the pro-XE on the cart bar.
- This product is 100% waterproof.
If you are looking for a rangefinder, the important features required are accuracy, ease of use, durability, and budget.
While I agree that the Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder can be a little on the expensive side, the wide variety of features promise high performance on the golf course compensating the price completely.
However, as a beginner, a lot of the features offered are not required.
Hence this product is best suited for someone with more experience and who has a requirement of high levels of accuracy all the time.
While Callaway is a company well known for its irons and drivers, it is quite impressive to see their Laser rangefinder, the Callaway 300 Pro, do so well in both the club golfing and the professional circles.
The most attractive feature is definitely the low price as compared to other rangefinders without compromising on any of the necessary qualities required to make it a complete package.
If you consider the on-course performance, then one might have to compromise on the high levels of accuracy.
This is more prominent in some of the more expensive models of rangefinders, but the product really well for the price it is available for.
With a wide range from 5 to 1000 yards, this product is sure to give high levels of precision with its unique Birdie feature which gives a sound every time you lock into a target.
- Wide range from 5-1000 yards
- 100% water-proof
- Affordable price range
- Easy to use
- Lightweight in nature makes it easy to carry.
- The birdie chirp can be annoying at times, especially to playing partners
- Short battery life
- The level of precision can appear to be low for certain golfers
- Easy lock onto the pin up to 300 yards away with the help of Pin Acquisition Technology (P.A.T.)
- 6x magnification range from 5 to 1000 yards
- ‘Chirp’ sound upon target lock increases assurance and confidence of the distance.
- High levels of precision with the Slope Feature which takes the slopes and terrains into account while providing the yardage.
- Distances to multiple targets can be acquired with the help of Scan Functionality
- Water and fog-resistant.
While there are brands like Bushnell and TecTecTec which specifically design the rangefinders, be sure to check out the Callaway 300 Pro as well especially if your budget is under 200$.
One of the most popular and best-selling rangefinders, the VPRO500 model doesn’t disappoint as far as accuracy, ease of use, and precision is concerned, all under a very affordable price of 150$.
Having an all-black small and compact body along with a distance range of 540 yards, this product provides instant readings on the golf course with high accuracy levels.
A perfect product to measure the flags, sand traps, and hazards, it has a very clear display which adds to its ease of use.
- Super compact and lightweight
- Easy to carry and fit into the pocket
- Comes with a good carry bag which helps to increase the durability
- Higher ease of use with a great display
- Will be difficult to operate if you have unsteady and shaky hands
- Performance can go down a bit in foggy conditions
- Yardage is limited to 540 yards which is sufficient enough but less as compared to premium rangefinders
- Doesn’t come with a slope measurement feature
- The advanced pin sensor technology provides high accuracy levels of up to 540 yards
- Perfect product for measuring flags, hazards, and sandpits with the pin-seeker technology.
- Fast and convenient measurements with ultra-clear multilayered optics
- With dimensions of 104*72*41 mm and weight of just 185g, this product is very lightweight and portable along with being water and dust resistant.
- Comes with a CR2 battery, wrist strap, microfiber cleaning cloth, and a quick start guide
- 30-day money-back guarantee along with a 2 year warranty period makes it a risk-free investment
For a golfer interested in making a safe and low investment to measure the yardages and make the right decisions on the golf course, the TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder can be the best buy possible.
With its ease of use and optimum performance levels, this product is one of the best rangefinders under 150$ price range.
As an advanced version of the highly successful VPRO500 model, the TecTecTec ULT-X Golf Rangefinder takes it one step further by improving the range to 1000 yards with higher 6x magnification for clear and easy vision.
The accuracy levels are
- 0.3 yards- up to 300 yards
- 0.5 yards- up to 600 yards
- 1 yard – up to 1000 yards
Upon target lock, this product notifies by vibrating which gives a higher level of assurance. This along with a slope feature which can be easily turned on and off, makes this product fall under the easy to use, quick and accurate category.
- Rainproof and moisture resistant
- Easy to carry
- More precision as compared to other TecTecTec models with the slope feature
- Long-range up to 1000 yards
- Slightly more expensive as compared to the VPRO500 model
- Some reviews state that the yardage view is sometimes blurred
- Instant and accurate results up to 1000 yards with clear vision due to the 6x magnification.
- Now overlapping targets won’t be an issue with the advanced Pinsensor
- Vibration upon target lock provides reassurance of distance and hence improves confidence.
- The slope feature can be easily turned on and off according to the rules of the tournament.
- Target Lock Technology instantly locks targets up to 150-200 yards away and hazards up to 1000 yards away
- This product is rainproof and moisture resistant and comes along with a premium carrying pouch, CR2 battery, strap, microfiber cleaning cloth, quick start guide, and a two-year warranty.
By paying an extra 100$ more as compared to the VPRO500 model, the ULT-X model gives an added slope measurement benefit along with vibration notification upon target lock.
This makes it one of the most desirable and affordable golf rangefinders with a slope.
The newest launch of the year, the Garmin Approach Z82 is fresh off the blocks with its attractive design and the new tournament mode, something which was lacking in the previous models.
With the tournament mode turned on, you can now use this device in tournaments without breaking the rules and navigate your way through the golf course with confidence.
Now, playing on new courses will not be a challenge anymore with the full-color 2-D CourseView Map of more than 41000 courses worldwide integrated into the software of the device.
One key feature worth mentioning is the integration of the Garmin App on the phone with the rangefinder. This helps in giving the exact wind force and direction to adjust the club selection accordingly.
- Highest levels of accuracy in the market
- The vibration upon target lock gives added confidence with the distances
- Maps of 41000 golf courses make life easier on new courses for the golfer
- Easy to use
- Chargeable battery
- A little bit on the expensive side
- Some reviews say that the wind tracker doesn’t always show up
- High accuracy within 10” of the flag up to 450 yards
- Vibrational feedback gives confidence about the distance
- All the components including hazards, water and bunkers are easily visible through the Laser Range Arc Feature
- More than 41000 courses are integrated within the software.
- Wind direction and speed is provided through the Garmin App
- Hazard View feature allows a quick overview of the hazards in play and their yardages
If you are looking for the state of the art features all packed into one perfect device, then look no further than the Garmin Approach Z82.
The highlights of this product are the wide variety of course layouts it has fed into it along with the wind factor calculation which plays a major role in club selection on the golf course.
All in all, the Garmin Approach Z82 is currently the best new golf rangefinder in the market currently.
Being a reliable company for you to invest in, Bushnell almost never fails in delivering the best.
In this case, they have designed the easiest to use golf rangefinder with only 5 buttons on it and preloaded with 36000+ course data to make life easy on a number of courses around you.
As far as the performance is concerned, the Laser is quite accurate and within 2 yards of the course markers.
However, I found that the GPS wasn’t that accurate as compared to other devices within the same price range.
With the Laser and GPS included together in one device, be sure to never involve guesswork in your game by getting the exact yardages from anywhere on the golf course.
- Most user-friendly device
- Even if the battery of the GPS dies, it can still be used as a Laser Rangefinder
- Completely legal in tournament play
- The BlueTooth pairing with the phone to get course updates can take a bit of time and effort.
- GPS is not as accurate as required
- A hybrid of Laser and GPS provides extremely accurate data which removes the guesswork from the game
- Once the laser is locked onto the target, a short vibrating burst provides assurance about the exact distance.
- Preloaded with data of 36000+ courses in 30 countries
- Comes along with the Bushnell App and a wireless connectivity feature for course updates
- Comes with a CR2 battery and the GPS is rechargeable
- 2 year warranty period
The Bushnell Hybrid consists of all the required features which are required by a beginner as well as an experienced golfer.
With its legality completely legitimate in tournaments, its ease of use can be considered as one of the most important and useful features.
The combined effect of the GPS and Bushnell’s own Laser technology makes it a highly accurate device removing all the guesswork out of the game.
Many experienced and high-level golfers require the exact distance, slope knowledge, and wind directions.
Some beginners can just get by fine with GPS provided distances without having to put too much of an investment.
The Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS is designed specifically keeping the budding golfers around who need some assistance with their yardages.
This device provides the front, back, and the center green distances of more than 36000+ golf courses worldwide with the most user-friendly operations.
All you’ve got to do is turn it on and it is self-explanatory. Another interesting feature is the shot tracking wherein it will help you to find out the distance you hit with each club.
- A small and compact device which extremely lightweight
- Most user-friendly GPS device
- Easy to attach to your golf cart with the magnet provided at the back
- Long battery life
- Highly affordable for a beginner
- The outer plastic covering can make it look cheap and less presentable
- Magnet is weak and hence it can fall off easily
- Bluetooth connection can be time-consuming at times
- Preloaded with 36000+ courses in more than 30 countries
- Bite Magnetic Mount makes it easily attachable to your golf cart
- Front, Center and back distances are easily visible with clear and large font
- Bushnell Golf App is included along with a Bluetooth feature to connect with the phone for course data.
With an investment of 100$ and the user-friendly nature of the Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS, it is the perfect guide for any beginner looking for that extra bit of assurance with the distances on the golf course.
At almost half the price of most of the high performing rangefinders with slope technology, the PEAKPULSE S600AG Golf Rangefinder offers the latest and industry-leading specs.
As far as the comparison to the Bushnell Pro XE is concerned, it offers similar features as far as slope reading is concerned, with the on/off provision for tournament legality.
However, the range it offers is limited to 550 yards which I feel is more than sufficient on a golf course.
Even if you have shaky hands, the Flag Acquisition with Pulse Shake Technology makes it easy to lock into a target with a short shaking burst to notify the target lock.
The battery life is long especially because of the battery saver mode which turns the device off after 8 seconds of inactivity.
- Long battery life
- Easy focus with clear display
- Affordable price
- Provides quick results with high precision and accuracy up to 550 meters
- The range is limited to 550 yards
- Some golfers might find it a little too small in size
- Can take some time to adjust with all the buttons
- The incline and decline of the greens can easily be read with the help of built-in slope technology
- Slope mode can be easily shut off for tournaments
- Flag acquisition with pulse shake technology notifies target lock with a short shaking burst.
- Fast Focus System allows easy focus on target even with specs on
- Battery saver mode helps conserve battery to make it last long
- 7x magnification allows accurate measurements up to 550 yards
- Comes with carrying case, CR2 battery along with a 2 year warranty period
As a new product in the market, the PEAKPULSE S600AG Golf Rangefinder amazes me as an affordable alternative for some of the highly-priced rangefinders in the market.
The ease of use and advanced features will make this product a big hit amongst both, the beginners and the more experienced golfers.
Let’s face it, for, under 100$, the Gogogo Laser Rangefinder is the best investment you will make in 2020.
This product is packed with premium features like distance measurement, flag-pole locking vibration, and pin seeking technology.
While testing it out in an open field, I found that the precision and accuracy were spots on under the 150 yards range.
The response time was quick too and hence instant results were seen.
However, from a distance of more than 200 yards, the device might take a couple of seconds more to lock onto the target. The accuracy was within the range of 2-4 yards above and below the actual distance.
- Most cost-effective Rangefinder
- Solid construction makes it durable
- Vibration features give better assurance of the distance
- Can be used for golfing, hunting, bowhunting, and other professional activity
- The clarity beyond 200 yards is not the best
- Battery life can be an issue
- Vibration upon flagpole identification is a feature which gives added assurance and confidence regarding the distance
- Continuous range readings, ARC ( Angle Range Compensation) provide high precision accuracy.
- The range is between 5 to 650 yards with a 6x magnification
- A brighter and clear image due to the Fully Multicoated Optic Lens which increases the transmission of light
- Comes with One year Warranty.
The Gogogo Laser Rangefinder offers features like 6x magnification, precise distance measurement under 200 yards, and vibration upon target lock.
While comparing with some of the more expensive and high performing golf rangefinders, I
found that the quality of these features is equivalent to this product as well.
Hence, I can say that with the price range as low as 90$, it is a no brainer to go for this product and I’m sure that it won’t disappoint as far as performance is concerned.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a rangefinder and why is it so important?
A golf rangefinder is a device used by golfers to get exact distances from one point on the golf course to any object within a distance of 1000 yards.
A rangefinder is used to calculate the distance from a flag post, hazard, fairway, and greenside bunkers. This information helps distinctively in the course management and makes you choose the right club every time.
This device is small, compact, and lightweight so that it easily fits in the hand and can be carried along during a round with comfort.
The best golf rangefinders use GPS as well as Laser technologies to pinpoint the exact location and distances to the flags.
Read also- How do golf rangefinders work?
Importance of a golf rangefinder
Once you have figured out the basics of golf and stepped out on the course, it becomes very important to figure out the different variables on the golf course.
These variables include the distance to the flag, bunkers, and hazards. It is also important to understand the wind direction and speed which affects the choice of club.
Hence, it can be said that for an average golfer, using a good quality rangefinder will definitely help in reducing 2-3 errors in a round of golf.
What are the Key Points of consideration while buying a golf rangefinder?
While searching for a good quality golf rangefinder, look for the following qualities-
- Ease of use
- Battery life
- Waterproofing quality
- Slope Feature
- Distance range and magnification
The sole purpose of buying a rangefinder is to get the exact knowledge of the distances and yardages.
Even a mistake of 5 yards can cost you an extra stroke. Hence, the accuracy of a rangefinder is of prime importance.
There is a basic difference between the accuracy and precision of a golf rangefinder.
Accuracy is more about the deviation from the actual distance from any point on the golf course.
On the other hand, precision involves the identification of an object and showing the distance of that particular object and not something in the background or around it.
Rangefinders with high precision levels will capture the flag and ignore the trees in the background which can hinder the display of the correct yardage.
Ease of use
A rangefinder which takes a lot of time and has a lot of buttons on it is not useful on the golf course.
This is because it can get confusing to operate and can consume a lot of time to get results.
Ideally, look for a rangefinder that shows promptness in showing results by the click of just a single button.
Your budget is decided depending on your requirements on the golf course.
Rangefinders are available in the price range of 90-100$ (Gogogo Laser Rangefinder) to 500$ ( Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder).
My suggestion to any beginner is to buy a rangefinder in the range of 150-200$.
The reason being that at this price, the products on offer provide an ample number of features like slope reading, Flag Acquisition, and vibrate upon target lock at a very reasonable price.
A simple battery can make or break a deal.
The last thing I want is the display to become dim and the device becomes unresponsive during a round of golf.
Ideally, I would want a rangefinder battery to last 30-35 rounds. This is because the CR2 batteries used in the device are expensive and hence it is not feasible to change the batteries on a regular basis.
Golf is a game that is played out in the open.
Out in the open, there are various conditions one has to encounter like rain, dew.
A good quality rangefinder should be waterproof against these conditions to ensure that there is no damage done during a round.
Having a slope feature can prove to be quite helpful in understanding the various uphill or downhill slopes on the golf course.
This knowledge can help in determining the exact yardage after taking all the terrains and slopes into account.
However, rangefinders with the slope feature can be expensive.
Also, during tournaments, the use of this feature is banned.
Hence, you would want a rangefinder with a facility to turn the slope feature off whenever it is not required. ( Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder)
Distance range and magnification
The ideal magnification required in a rangefinder is between 3X to 6X.
The new products in the market offer magnification up to 7X and hence provide clear views of any flag or obstacle in front.
As far as the range is concerned, some companies claim to provide a range of 1000 yards. Frankly speaking, such long ranges are not required on a golf course and even if 1000 yards are offered, the vision will not be clear.
Hence, my suggestion is to go for a product having a range of 350 to 500 yards and a magnification of 5X to 7X.
Rangefinders are subject to a lot of handling while in use.
Some of the best golf rangefinders are sturdy enough to sustain through the falls on the ground or rough weather.
During an average round of golf, rangefinders can be exposed to water, rain, and falling down.
These conditions should not affect the product’s performance.
A rangefinder with a good quality display has clearly visible distance numbers along with negligible blurring at maximum magnification.
Also, as a user, you want the information in the display to be as simple as possible. The idea is to not have all the slope settings, crosshairs, and objects in the display to get entangled and make it confusing to understand the data properly.
Should I use a Laser Rangefinder or GPS device?
A GPS device like a watch for example has pre-fed data about a golf course into its system. Certain GPS devices like the Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS can also be connected to the phone app through Bluetooth.
The Advantages of GPS devices is that they are extremely easy to use and provide accurate data and visuals of the greens, bunkers, and fairways.
The downside of using a GPS device is that they do not provide data regarding the hazards in play. Also, the precision of the distance provided can be a little less as compared to the best golf rangefinders in the market.
As far as the Laser rangefinders are concerned, they can be extremely accurate and provide exact yardages to any object present on the golf course. They also provide information related to the hazards on the course.
The downside of using a Laser rangefinder is that they can’t measure distances if there is any obstacle like trees in between. Also, if you have shaky hands, it can get difficult to lock into a target with ease.
GPS devices are less expensive as compared to Laser Rangefinders. On the other hand, the Laser Rangefinders provide much more accurate and advanced data which can prove to be very helpful.
Hence, choosing between the two is dependent on the budget and the requirements of data during a round of golf.
Should I have a slope feature in my Laser Rangefinder?
Laser rangefinders come in two different varieties. The simpler one provides accurate distances with the help of Laser which rebounds off the object into consideration.
While limited features are just as effective for a recreational golfer, for some of you who want to take it to the next level, additional slope feature is also provided in the device.
Due to this, the overall product cost may become high.
On the other hand, this gives access to vital information like the effect of terrain on the distance required to be measured.
According to the rules set by USGA, the use of slope features in any professional or amateur tournament is illegal. For this reason, some of the best golf rangefinders provide a button or switch to turn this feature off whenever not required.
To sum it up, having the knowledge of the down and up slopes on a golf course prove to be extremely useful but just check with your local club for its legality.
Read Also, 5 Best Driver for Slice in 2020
A Final Word with My Best Choice for Rangefinder
Having a good quality rangefinder has become very important especially if you are interested in improving your course management.
By having the correct distances fed into your mind, you are allowing yourself to make a confident swing. This removes the worry of leaving it short or overshooting the green in your approach shots.
The above-mentioned list of products constitutes some of the best golf rangefinders of 2020.
We have specifically included products of all price ranges starting from 100$ up to 500$ for you to choose the best possible option for your requirements.
As far as golfmadeasy’s suggestion goes, the Bushnell Pro XE Golf Laser Rangefinder has all the qualities for it to be declared as the best golf rangefinder for high performance and guaranteed improvement.
However, if the budget is limited, then going for a product which is under 200$ also provides a very good experience. For this purpose, Callaway 300 Pro Golf Laser Rangefinder with Slope Measurement will prove to be the best buy.